Moving house can expensive, especially if you need to move long distance. But you can reduce your moving costs by packing some or all of your belongings. Check out these practical packing tips – direct from the professional packers at a reliable moving company.
Packing up your household is certainly a big job, but don’t let it overwhelm you! Organization and careful planning are indispensable when packing your belongings for relocation.
Begin well ahead of your moving date, choosing and stockpiling the packing supplies that you are going to need to securely pack all your items.
Packing Supplies – What you’ll need and where to find them
You can save money by collecting clean boxes from your local supermarkets, but make sure that the boxes are dry, and empty of insects and other pests. You should only take strong, corrugated cartons with tops or flaps that fold shut. Old newspapers may be used for packing material, but ink may rub off and stain your belongings. The pros recommend that you use blank paper.
If you can’t find enough sturdy, clean boxes, don’t use substandard containers or you may end up damaging your possessions. Instead, purchase proper moving boxes from the moving company; you may be able to get a refund if they are in good shape after the move.
Other packing supplies you will need include:
· Scissors and/or a sharp knife
· Labels and markers for identifying the contents of cartons
· Plastic bags and labels for parts storage and identification
· Heavy-duty packaging tape (11/2 to 2 inches wide) for sealing boxes – duct tape or masking tape is not recommended.
Before you start packing
Choose a work area that is roomy enough to accommodate the largest moving boxes, with a solid table or work surface (professional packers don’t recommend using your best dining room table!). Cover your table with towels or a blanket to prevent scratching. Place a generous stack of packing paper on the table, and have your marking pens, scissors, tape and other packing supplies nearby.
Once you’ve gathered your packing supplies and organized your workspace you’re ready to begin packing.
How to Pack
- Pack one room at a time; it makes it easier to unpack.
- Start packing well ahead of your move and pack a couple of cartons each day.
- Make sure you have sufficient “filler” material on hand, and when in doubt, use more.
- Always pack heavy items toward the bottom of the box and light items up top, and try to keep the weight of each box below 50 pounds; it makes moving them much easier.
- Mark each box with a room and brief description of the contents once packed.
- Check that the bottom of each carton is taped and secured and able to hold the weight of the contents.
- Remember – the heavier the item, the smaller the carton.
These packing tips from the professionals should help you plan and organize yourself to pack your household items. If you still feel that it’s too big a job for you to take on, don’t worry, a reliable moving company can perform all or part of your packing, just ask them.